Sunday, July 8, 2012

3 months and 5 years

It's difficult to describe to out-of-towners how the Waldo Canyon fire impacted our city and each of us on an individual level. It was consuming--coverage on tv was 24/7, and we watched every moment we could. The smoke and the ash in the air were constant reminders of the nearby devastation, and when we were out, other people were tense, spoke in hushed tones, and were always looking over their shoulder, as though the fire were creeping up on us. Which it kind of was. Anyway, I mention that because the fire started on our 5th anniversary and just past Von's 3-month b-day. I had been planning to blog about both events, but the fire was a huge distraction. [The above picture is Von during the heat wave. We'd put a cool washcloth on his head to cool him down. It seemed to work!]
So.
On Von's b-day, we measured and weighed him the best we could. He was about 14.5lb and about 25.25in. On our anniversary, we had planned to leave him with Polly while we went out, but she ended up on pre-evacuation status and I believe went to a friend's house that night anyway (thankfully, her house was unharmed by the fire. Praise the Lord!). So we took Von with us out to sushi (big, fat wonderful dinner!! I hadn't had sushi since before I was pregnant. YUM!). The hostess was gracious to seat us at one of those platform tables, so I wrapped Von up in his blanket and set him on a cushion next to me. Aaron called him our Spicy Paco Roll. :)

 Here he is in an outfit from Aunt Carrie. Aaron pretends to straight/loosen/tighten the tie, and it's adorable. I love it. :)


1 comment:

  1. I heart that tie onsie!! So cute. Happy Anniversary and Happy 3 months to the cutest Von in the world!

    ReplyDelete