Before Von was born, some friends gave us a beautiful bassinet. I originally planned to keep Von in the bassinet in our room for 3 months. And then after experiencing the amazing convenience of Baby right next to me when it's time to nurse, I thought I'd keep him in the bassinet until 6 months when we introduce solid foods and start cutting back on the nursing. However, as I reported in my last post, Von is HUGE, and it has become physically impossible to keep him in the bassinet.
A couple of years ago, Megan gave us a crib, which has been in the garage since then, so Aaron spent hours scrubbing it and getting it ready. I ironed the crib skirt and set up the mobile from Caroline. Finally, Baby's bed was ready! But by the time bedtime came around last night, I had received a text from my friend Julie who said that her friend's 4-month old baby boy was dying--he had been found face down in his crib not breathing. That tipped this mommy over the edge. I was so sad for this baby's mother and for her loss that I wanted Von close to me, both out of gratefulness for a healthy baby and also out of nervousness that something might happen to him. So I told Aaron one more night...
At 2am, Von woke up fussy. Usually I stick the binky in and he'll fall back asleep, but last night he wasn't interested in sleeping. Or the binky. He just wanted to fuss. And fuss. He didn't seem to remember that Papa had to work in the morning or that Mommy hadn't slept well the night before.
All of a sudden, that crib in the next room looked pretty good. So I took him in there, re-swaddled him, stuck the binky in, laid him down, and then went back to our bedroom. To get a blanket and a pillow...After all, the monitor wasn't set up, and I wouldn't want to not be able to hear if Von needed something...
Anyway, here he is going down for his nap today. I'm painfully aware of how quickly he'll outgrow the crib!
And here he is having tummy time while listening to baby U2. The gloves
[socks] are to prevent him from scratching his eczema. As I type, he is
sleeping contentedly in his big baby boy crib. We'll see if mommy is
able to sleep contentedly tonight (or at all!) with him so far away...


Great job! He's a sweety!
ReplyDeleteOohjaboo! He looks so comfy and right at home in his big-boy crib! And I personally know how much he likes being in his own room! ;-) Proud of you! And love you all!
ReplyDelete